Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Weekend Cartoons

I have lots of cartoons to bring you this weekend, but I have lots of blogging topics I want to cover today, so I will keep my comments brief with this batch. My comments are under the cartoons. Enjoy...

I strongly feel that these two are not unlinked - does anyone possibly believe that the price of oil would be this high had we not invaded Iraq? We'll never know, but one thing is for sure - it hasn't helped the most violent region on Earth.

This is very sad because it's so true. I know far too many voters who are swayed by the passing sound bite. GOP hack Matt Drudge is notorious for this - I just blogged last week about how he trolled a BBC story for a quote that fit his world view of global warming as a fallacy, but anyone who read the whole article would have quickly found out that scientists still believe that global warming is happening. My point in bringing this up is I wonder how many people read the headline and had their anti-global warming regulations reinforced; it's a fair comments, since Drudge routinely panders to the GOP by slandering Democrats.

The idea of super delegates is a freaking disaster for the Democrats under even best-case scenarios. For a party that claims to be for the common man, it appears as if millions won't have their voices heard in picking the party's presidential nominee.

Congress had better not even think about it, nor had it better even consider ending Net Neutrality, either. And you can bet Congress will if we don't try and stop them - big media companies have too much cash to offer in the way of campaign contributions, and companies like Comcast and AT&T have a lot more pull on Capitol Hill than we do, individually. We have to band together to make our voices heard.

I'm nowhere near an expert on the economy or the financial markets, but simply as an American taxpayer who follows politics, I'm very unhappy about the government's Bear Sterns bailout. I have plenty of questions about it, but the biggest one is, will the government be paid back? Why should the government be responsible for reckless and stupid lending practices? These are questions I'm not hearing from the people who should be asking them.

I'm sick to death of global warming deniers saying with a straight face, "Why should we do anything about global warming? It won't mean anything unless India and China do something about their emissions." The stupidity of that logic is so transparent, I would hope an explanation would be unnecessary to most, but I will offer one anyway. America had its Industrial Revolution, which belched trillions of tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, but now that China and India have emerging economies, we look them in the eyes with a straight face and say, "Not so fast, you're polluting the atmosphere with your cheap energy!" Riiight. Of course, in the eyes of global warming deniers, I suppose I "hate America" for pointing out our country's hypocrisy.

I'll shout it from the mountaintops - NAFTA has been great millions of people, outside of the United States. I think its architects probably had the best of intentions, but sometimes we need to realize when something simply isn't working. Frankly, I find Obama's and Clinton's posturing about whether they supported it back in 1992 boring and counterproductive. The most important consideration right now is what either candidate will do about it if elected president. This is akin to Obama and Hillary standing in the street arguing about who started the fire, while the Capitol Building burns. Let's put out the NAFTA fire; what's done is done.

In 2008, for the life of me, I still cannot believe that some people argue that torture is somehow good or beneficial to America. I'm overstating the obvious when I say that whatever moral high ground the US used to have has long since disappeared in this administration. It's going to be many decades until we can try to put a stop to genocide, torture and repression and not sound like hypocrites, considering the violence we've spawned by invading Iraq.

I firmly believe that Hillary more than made a "misstatement" when she described her experience in Bosnia during her trip to that country as first lady. And I don't think her joking about it on Jay Leno makes up for it in any way. What's so funny about being caught blatantly lying to the American people while running for president? I'm a Hillary supporter, and it certainly wouldn't cause me to vote for John McSame were she to become nominee this summer. I apologize if this sounds to cynical, but I'll always believer that all politicians stretch the truth at times, and many will blatantly lie if it serves their self interests. But that doesn't excuse it when they are caught. I'm under no illusion that John McCain has never been dishonest, believe me. Every time this guy says, "I have to give you some straight talk, my friends," he's being dishonest. It never ceases to rankle me when the media so dutifully repeats these self-serving, self-appointed monikers that McSame has given himself: Maverick and Straight Talker. As Matt Taibbi, one of my favorite political writers, sagely observed recently on Bill Maher's show: "You can run just about any bullshit up the flag pole, and the mainstream media will simply stand there and salute it, and repeat it seemingly within minutes." He's absolutely right.

I found these funny because I can see the Philadelphia Art Museum from my rooftop deck - it's about a three-minute walk away. Like the Rocky movies, maybe the name Clinton is becoming trite in the eyes of American voters. Pennsylvania voters will have a chance to let the country know what it thinks in about 15 days.

McCain has been running around the country on his reinvention tour, complaining that his 100 years Iraq comment is being mischaracterized and taken out of context. That's his own fault - maybe he shouldn't have said it, then. I'm sick to death of Iraq war supporters citing Korea, Japan and Germany as examples of our troops staying in foreign lands following wars that happened over 50 years ago. Iraq is unique from all of those instances, and I'd like to know when the last time a roadside bomb killed our troops in any of those countries. Of course, no one points this out to McCain when he mentions it, but someone should, either in one of his audiences, or during a debate, or on one of the talking head political shows.

It's about time some people start to see the b.s. PR campaign about ethanol - that it will threaten our food supply at worst, or at best make it a great deal more expensive. It's taken the press a little while to catch up with the truth about ethanol, but some of the unfortunate truths about this fuel are finally beginning to be mentioned, including the many ways that ethanol actually increases global warming. (More on this in a future post - Time had a lengthy piece on this a few weeks ago.)

I completely disagree with the claim of this cartoon, and that's why I'm posting it. I will go to my grave believing that a lack of regulation and so-called government meddling is much worse than reasonable government regulation. When left to their own devices, corporations will bend over the common working people and take advantage of them whenever and however they can.

Al Gore as a candidate? Fat chance. I've been pining for Gore to run for years now, but I don't think it would happen. However, I believe that Gore, Clinton or Obama could all beat McCain in a head-to-head election this fall.

More on this in a separate post, but for now I'll say the high school graduation rates in America's cities are absolute disgrace. Where the hell are President Bush's No Child Left Behind cheerleaders now?

I don't know that I'm in favor of an American boycott of the games, but I'm not happy that President Bush is going to the games, because it adds legitimacy to a regime that is known for its brutal and harsh oppression of Tibet, and its own people, too.

This one is a good illustration of our efforts in the Middle East under this administration. I'll say it loud and clear - I would love it if McCain picks Condi as his running mate. To me, it would be a very transparent attempt to court the black vote. McCain's track record and that of his party is not attractive to African-Americans. It wouldn't be a horrible choice, but I wouldn't at all mind seeing Condi getting on TV and having to answer questions about this administration's Iraq policy. It would also further demonstrate the link between the Bush administration and McCain, which would really undercut his support among moderates in the general this fall. I'm really hoping he picks America's Profiteer, Giuliani, or Mitt Romney. God, there are so many great choices McSame could make...

These Big Oil hearings are another waste of taxpayer money - I guarantee that nothing will come of this charade. It's beyond comprehension that Big Oil is raping the American taxpayer of $15 billion per year in subsidies - those should end, NOW. Will they? Not unless we insist on it. I urge all of you to write your representatives and senators in Congress to demand an end to Big Oil subsidies, immediately.

I don't buy into the notion that Hillary and Obama slugging it out to get the nomination is bad for the party or the country, either. Okay, it may put the Democratic Party's nominee at a disadvantage as far as fundraising goes, but the nominee will have plenty of opportunity to make up ground for that. And I do believe that this will be solved before the Democratic convention in August.

I think all of this discontent that we don't have a Democratic nominee comes from the media, which is angry that the race hasn't been decided. OH WELL - too bad, media. And DNC Chairman Howard Dean is drinking this media Kool-Aid, too - opining that the candidates need to "cool it" and stop being so intense. He has a point, to a point. I think Hillary and Obama are fighting so hard because they realize that the party's nominee has an outstanding chance of being elected president.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian H. Smith said...

This is a great post and great collection of cartoons. Hopefully the Dems don't find even more ways to mess this thing up.

Sun Apr 06, 09:03:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home