Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

It's a baby girl for TomKat!*

* - Who gives a shit.

Am I the only one nauseated by all of the media coverage of the Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes love child? Puleeze. This guy has gone from hero (okay, not exactly hero, but for rhyming purposes, go with me) to zero in just a few years. It used to be that I never missed a Tom Cruise blockbuster movie. Now, not even under threat of taser shock or decapitation would I go see any of his movies or contribute to his success.

His ill-conceived (pun intended), misogynistic comments on postpartum depression and psychiatry are mostly the reason. But how about this - I just flat out don't like the guy. I'm sick of Scientology, and I'm flat out bored with all of the press coverage on this... this... "religion." I'm simply placing Cruise in the category he so richly deserves: with all of the other religious zealots who deserve zero attention and even less credibility. Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Tom Cruise. Yes, he fits in there nicely. The best thing the press could do would be to just ignore this egomaniac. Okay, I know that's not going to happen, but I can dream, can't I?

Top Gun, The Firm and A Few Good Men seem like a million years ago, when he was my favorite actor.

One more word on the TomKat baby - don't people have anything better to do? People can blame the media all they want, and many do, but the sad truth is that magazines, newspapers and TV shows clamor for news on these celeb babies because it's what their audiences want. I've got two words - pathetic and sad. With so many more important things going on in the world around us - this is what the media spends its time on? I think we've finally settled back into the pre-September 11, idiotic mindset, brought to you by the same people who gave us endless coverage (and even perpetuated some of the stories) of JonBenet Ramsey, Chandra Levy and Gary Condit and, oh yea - Monica Lewinsky. People, the planet is warming at a dangerous rate, a gallon of gas will soon cost more than a drink in the city, Iran is on the verge of becoming a nuclear power, and our young men and women are being struck down in the prime of their lives over in Iraq and Afghanistan every single day. That's what's important - not this rubbish. But, I digress.

Anyway, back to my friend Tom for just a second. Instead of a rant, I'm just boycotting him. He's now on my list which includes AOL, Cingular Wireless and Circuit City. (I won't get into the those now, other than to say their customer service stinks to high heaven.) I'm putting my money where my mouth is - no Mission Impossible 3 for me, or any other movie starring Cruise for that matter, until he changes his tune. Yea, I'm just one person, but at least I can do something about it - I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Empowering.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wed Apr 26, 08:26:00 AM PDT  
Blogger RJ said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wed Apr 26, 10:27:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home