Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Another season over... damn!

So, another season of honoring false idols is over. Thank freakin' God! From the annoying theme music, to asshole Simon, to pathetic Paula. Gee, I'm really going to miss it. But, just when I got on my haughty high horse about people patheticly tuning in and never missing an episode of this drivel, I took a quick read of my own blog and realized that I basically have the same devotion to sports, hockey in particular. Okay, touché. Let it be noted that I'm capable of some self examination and introspection. But at least sports are real, and not a blatant attempt to pander to the public's idiotic obsession with "reality" TV, a textbook misnomer is there ever was one. The whole damn show is scripted, from start to finish. The really unwatchable episodes are the early ones of a new season, when the show clearly picks pathetic singers (a.k.a., softballs over the plate) so Simon can smack them out of the park.

Has anyone ever given thought to the idea that this may also be a blatant attempt by an increasingly desperate music industry to prop up slumping record sales? Just a thought.

To be fair, though, some real talent has emerged from this show, most notably Pennsylvania's own Kelly Clarkson. The woman has real talent. And this year's winner, Taylor Hicks, has a great voice. So, I'm willing to give the show some props, but all of the pomp, circumstance, and bullshit that goes along with the show render it unwatchable to me. And Ryan Seacrest is more annoying to me than all four yentas on The View, combined. That's saying a lot.

And do I need to point out the fact that it's a laughable disgrace that Hicks received far more votes than any U.S. presidential candiate, ever? Yes, I know, people can vote more than once, but to those people, I'd say this - if you can sit there and mindlessly vote 10 times for your favorite Idol, which doesn't make a damn bit of difference in your life, make sure to get your ass to the voting booth whenever there's an election, too, because that vote does have an impact on your life. I'm sure more than a few who voted for their favorite Idol didn't make it to the voting booths last election, and in '00 and '04.

And for those who still think that "their vote doesn't make a difference" (in the presidential elections), why are you wasting your time voting after watching American Idol, then? (I know more than a few people who can't explain away this contradition.) Anyway, to those people, I'd say this...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home