Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Heat's cookin'

I'm a little overdue to talk about my other, "forgotten" team that has moved deep in the playoffs - the Miami Heat. To be honest, of all four major professional sports in North America, basketball is my 4th favorite. Family and close friends know that I've been a Miami fan since 1988, when they came into the league. They've never won anything, and I'm not sure if this will be the year that they do. I'm not a "frontrunner" or "bandwagon" Miami fan (incidentally, I hate the word bandwagon - so trite and hackneyed in sports fandom), but I'm not a crazed NBA fan, either.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited that they might make it to the NBA Finals for the first time ever, but getting past Detroit is a tall order indeed. Last night's victory was a start, but I think this is going to be one long series. The Miami fan in me says Shaq will get his 4th ring this year and his first with the Heat, but the realist in me says that Detroit is going to be very difficult to beat, and the Pistons will probably win this very close series. I hope I'm wrong though and that Miami takes the Pistons out.

Hopefully Edmonton will close out their series vs. the Ducks tomorrow night so I can watch some of the Heat games more closely. I'm very busy these days and haven't had a whole lot of time for basketball. Hockey gets all the spare time first - hockey will always be #1.

Anyway...

GO HEAT!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home