Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Two more books make my summer reading list

I've added two more books to My Summer Reading List (Page down about 2/3 way when you click on the link), which has quickly turned into my "2006 reading list," because there's no possible way I'll get through all of them this summer.

Anyway, Al Gore's new book, An Inconvenient Truth, has quickly moved to the top of said list. I've come to really admire Gore, not only for his dignified manner during the aftermath of the 2000 election he had stolen from him, but for his compassion, drive and dedication about global warming. He's tireless and passionate about this issue that it just only beginning to catch the public's attention. I just hope it isn't too little, too late. If it's up to Gore, it won't be.

Another book that's a must-read for me this year is Open Target, written by Clark Kent Ervin, the former inspector general of the Department of Homeland Security. I'm eager to read what he has to say about how vulnerable we still are. I blogged about Ervin at length, so no need to do in-depth now. Jump to that blog entry Here.

But, Ervin said it best during an interview on The Daily Show last week - it's been five years since 9-11 and our last major attack, and we are starting to go back to sleep; a sense of security has begun to pervade our legislators' and leaders' actions and thought. Books like these are a bucket of cold water to wake us up.

Happy reading this summer - share your books with me and let me know what you are reading in the sun. I'd love to know.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home