Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

One brave family

I've already talked a bit about my grandmother's death. Almost as tough as watching her literally take her last breaths was watching my nieces and nephews through it all (to say nothing of my mom, brothers and the rest of my family).



This was my oldest nephew Zac's first experience with losing a grandparent, and the little guy was brave. He was crying at the funeral home, but I'm glad he didn't see Nan in the coffin - he just saw pictures of her on top of the casket. He was close to Nan, and I'm sure he will miss her dearly. I'll always remember his brave face this weekend, and how my grandmother would light up whenever he came over to visit.



Nan with my oldest niece, Emily. Nan had a special bond with Em - her first great grandchild. She spent lots and lots of time at Nan's house, and I know in my heart that Nan loved every minute of it. Em is a good kid and a real sweetheart, and I know that seeing Nan in her final days was very hard, but Em loved her so much she wanted to be there. She was so brave and so devoted to her Nan, like we all were, but Em showed it, especially in the really tough days last week.

I'm very proud of all of my nieces and nephews and how they were during a very tough situation. I just single out Emily and Zac because they are the oldest, and they were the most aware about what was going on around them. So, it was hardest on them.

I loved my grandmother so much, these words are difficult to type. How do you even begin to quantify the love of a grandmother in a single paragraph? It was a priveledge and an honor to be by her bedside in her final days with us - I couldn't possibly repay all of the love she has given me over the years, but hopefully I showed her how much she meant to me. It's easy to beat yourself up after someone you love so deeply passes, and I have: "I should have called more, could have visited more, should have told her I loved her one more time," etc. But, she knew, and she knows, how much she meant to me. Holding her hands and peppering her forehead with kisses as she lay striken in bed was the easiest and most important thing I've ever done for someone in my family.

The night before she died, at about 3 a.m. I lowered the rail on her bed and put my head next to hers on the pillow - I wanted it to be like old times when I used to stay over and we'd fall asleep watching our Saturday night shows. What I'd give to just have one more of those Saturday nights. I was her little Russell, and she was my Nan. I could do no wrong or very rarely, & when I did, it was my mom's fault :o) Sorry mom! She grew all the more remarkable in my eyes as I grew older, talking to her about World War II and her life in general.

Right before Nan passed, as Em was leaving, she said with tears streaming down her face, "I just don't want her to forget me." That was heartbreaking for me to hear. Of course she won't, Em. She's smiling down on all of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home