Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Can we sink these sayings like the Titanic?


Okay, quick rant... I do a great deal of reading and writing - it's simply what I do and what my degrees are in. As a result, I have certain peeves about our language. Do us all a favor, readers, and ditch these sayings/metaphors/phrases, if you want to remain de rigeur.

Not so much

Throw _______ under the bus

Any reference to the Titanic

It's not the heat, it's the humidity

That's hot (It's not, and I cannot stand Paris Hilton)

Having said that...

At the end of the day...

If I had a dime/dollar for every time...

When discussing flying, stop it already with the "you're more likely to die in a car than in an airplane" stats. No shit, Sherlock. But I'M driving the car, and in theory, I'd have a little more control over a car than I will in a plane I'm riding in. Plus, if you get in just about any sort of accident with a plane, you're dicked. I've been in a number of car accidents, and here I am, still ranting.

We can put a man on the moon, but we can't _____________. The first moon landing happened 37 years and one day ago. Let's leave the moon references where they belong - on the moon, with our abandoned equipment up there.

Okay, I'm outta gas, but the above abuses of our language are really starting to annoy me. And I'll save all of you wise asses the trouble of typing me e-mail using any of the above, now that you know it annoys me. It'll just give me delete key a good workout.

Oh, one more - I almost forgot, but I guess I was just saving the best for last. Can we stop it with the Nazis and Nazi Germany references, already? There's few personality traits worse than being unoriginal. A cliche becomes trite for a reason - overuse! Sterling Burnett needs to learn this - I'll cover that in the next post.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home