Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Saturday, September 23, 2006

My latest obsessions

Just thought I would do this for fun, again. I made up an obsession list a few months ago on here when I felt like writing, and I've got a few minutes this morning. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm an incurable tech whore. I just like my gadgets. In the end, I know they are just things and don't mean nothin', but I do enjoy them. Anyway, on to the current list, in no particular order...

-TiVo! Vandra, it's your fault - you got my hooked. We now have three in the house, and yes, they will all get a workout. We each have our own - to record things that the other may or may not like, but that we definitely do. The one downstairs is for shows we watch at a particular time - when we first get home. Lots of Judge Judy and Seinfeld on that one.

My 60 GB iPod. Aside from my photography equipment, it's the best money I've ever spent on technology. If I were stranded on a desert island and could only bring three luxury items with me, this would be one.

My health. Turning 35 sucks!

Teaching. I'm constantly trying to improve, and I do get a bit of stage fright before class, but that's rapidly diminishing.

Photo albums. I'm months behind, but I'm catching up pretty rapidly, thanks to my Canon printer and lots of ink and photo paper. Yes, we will have wedding prints out to everyone shortly - next week at the very latest.

Fantasy Football. Yes, I'm a geek - the stereotypical guy that most women complain about this time of year. But, it's fun, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I love playing GM of my two fantasy teams. For those of you who are curious, both my teams stand at 1-1 on the season, and I've got a decent shot to win both games this weekend. Patience is finally paying off for me, specifically in my dynasty league (a league where you keep almost all of your same players, year to year). Run, Reggie Bush, run!

Hey, if it's good for no other reason, fantasy football helps me stay in touch with my friends.

My car. I'm constantly fretting about it - the Camry's taking a horrific beating every week. I travel, just for my job to Kutztown University, about 800 miles a week. I pray it holds together, but so far, so good *Knocks on wood*

Global warming. It's here to stay, folks, and so is this obsession of mine.

The war in Iraq and W. Both suck, and hopefully both will be over, soon. Hey, I mean his presidency - not making a threat, Secret Service!

Jaws. Our cat is a whole lot less curious about me than I am about him. But, we are getting along much better now. I give him his space, and he gives me mine, mostly, but he can be a pest, specifically around feeding time, and late at night when he wants attention. He craves attention like no other cat I've every heard of - he's like owning a dog that meows.

I love him to pieces - my favorite pet, ever, and that's saying something. Yet another way that Vandra has changed me for the better - I'm now an unabashed cat lover. He's only hissed at me once since we've been back from Mexico, and that particular time, I didn't care. I hit him with some canned air because he would not leave us alone. Vandra was even on my side that time.

Hockey & football. Enough said. It's one of my favorite forms of escapism in life.

Reading. Always has been an obsession, always will be.

Thank you notes. We've got many to write, beginning tomorrow. And I have a lot of wedding CDs I still have to burn. I'm quite happy to do both, it's just been finding the time to do it!

My blog. Duh. I love blogger! A new version has been rolled out, but I'm a bit hesitant to use it, because once you convert over to the new look, you can't go back. So, RJs Journey may have a new look soon, but I haven't decided yet. I may start up a new pseudo-blog just to check out the new format, and if I like it, I'll switch.

Book/Movie reviews. I have two book reviews in the can I still need to bring to you on the blog. And, one big movie review I have to write. They'll happen soon enough.

Photography. 2007 will be the year I get uber-serious about it. I'd like to start selling my work next summer. We'll see. Oh, and I love my new Canon EOS! I'll bring you some pictures tomorrow.

Freelance writing - again, something I want to get serious about again next year.

Our marriage. (Should be at the top, and it is, but I told you this list was in no particular order, and it's not.) Of course, it's #1.

Related to my marriage on this list are my new in-laws. I like to tell everyone that I hit the jackpot with my new parents and family, and I sure did. I wish I got to see everyone more, but that will happen soon enough. I'm very happy Kathy & Ralph are coming for Christmas.

Our condos. Will the roof issues ever end? Being a homeowner is a bear sometimes, but we're very lucky, and we know it. Like I tell Vandra when we get down about housing issues - we have it better than over 99% of the people in the world, and she always readily agrees. In the overall scheme of things, we don't have problems, and we know it. It can get frustrating, though.

Postcards. I'm behind, but I'll be sending out a bunch soon. I've custom designed one that I think many of you will get a laugh at.

Magazines. God, I subscribe to too damn many, but I do eventually get around to reading them all. I can't get over how cheap subscriptions are these days. Like I tell Vandra, I want to be/need to be up on current events to be an effective professor, but even if I weren't teaching, it's still something I would do. It's me, to a T.

Red Bull/Caffeine. Yea, I need to cut back, and I'm working on it, but it's proving easier said than done with a 1.5 hour commute to work, each way, five days a week.

California. I can't wait to be there, permanently. It'll happen, soon enough, Ralph & Kathy.

YouTube! One of the coolest Websites goin'.

Comedy. We had so much fun seeing Colin Quinn, David James and another comic (I'm embarrassed I can't remember his name!), but all three were great. Hey, third guy whose name I can't remember - we've got your picture, and at least I'll post that soon! Helium Comedy Club in Philly is the best- we are going back to see Greg Giraldo for Vandra's birthday in early October. Double G is amazingly funny!!

The upcoming elections. That includes 2006 and 2008. Another one for the "Duh" column. Any readers of this blog know where I'm comin' from. It will be interesting, and hopefully, successful, in kicking out the bums who are taking us down the road to ruin.

Okay, I must get in the shower - my big brother Todd turns 40 on Tuesday, and we are driving to the Poconos to wish him a *Surprise!* happy birthday today.

Talk with you again soon - lots more to write about tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home