Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Cindy Sheehan up for Peace Prize



I bet Stephanie Miller won't be on Fox News anytime soon. And I bet she doesn't give a shit, either, nor should she.

It seems that Cindy Sheehan has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. If I had a say, she'd certainly get my vote. I defy you to name one other person in America who has done more to promote the idea of peace this past year. Yea, I can't think of anyone else, either.

I don't always agree with Sheehan's methods or choice of words (more on that in a minute), but it's easy for me to say I disagree with her methods; I didn't lose a child in this misguided, dishonest war - she did. And she's not taking her loss lying down, nor is she lost in a cloud of self pity. To that I say bravo. She's suffered an incomprehensible loss, and she's proof positive that our losses in Iraq don't have to be for nothing - out of terrible suffering and loss can come some good.

Earlier I referred to her methods - to say that she wishes she could go back in time and kill President Bush is despicable - I don't support using that kind of language under any circumstances. Hey, we're Americans, but we're supposed to be a decent, rational people, even when we fervently disagree. Here, she clearly crosses a line.

In the Fox piece above, Stephanie Miller reasons that the whole sentence/clip wasn't played, and that Sheehan goes on to say that she wouldn't kill anybody. Okay, fair enough, if that's true. But, Sheehan should know better. When she goes off irrationally like that, she takes away from her very poignant message and she loses her credibility.

Keep fighting, Cindy, but for heaven's sake, no more talk (even if hypothetical) of harming the president- it makes you sound like a heretical lunatic.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home