So far, so good...
I've waited a long time for this night - Rick Santorum has been routed in his bid for re-election to the Senate - he just conceited (okay, just kidding - "conceded") to Bob Casey Jr. Slick Rick's no dummy, though - his speech tonight was very conciliatory in the vein of Al Gore's concession speech following the 2000 election; after all, Santorum wants a political future. I would not at all be surprised to see him run for governor some day, but if he does, he'll have to modify his tone - at present he's on the very far right, and Pennsylvania has many Democrats skeptical of him at best. Thankfully, I won't be living here by the time Ed Rendell's second term is over.
Was this even a race? Ed Rendell gave Lynn Swann a 70s Pittsburgh Steelers-like blowout today, and that was no surprise at all. When you have zero experience holding elected office, it's a tall order running for governor of one of the biggest states in America. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we don't need our own Jesse Ventura - we need real ideas & experience, and Swann had precious little of both. He's a nice guy, but Swann is no governor.
How much joy can a guy handle in one night? Katherine Harris (above) got her ass kicked in her Florida Senate race, getting slaughtered at the polls to Democratic incumbent Bill Nelson. Sweet - she can go back to her country club life in Florida. Her appearance on MSNBC yesterday had me laughing - "You're all going to be surprised tomorrow," she boasted. Yea, we're all surprised, Harris - surprised that nearly one million people in Florida voted for you. Now that's scary. Your time is up, Katherine, and I couldn't be more delighted. Like many Democrats, I will never forgive or forget the 2000 election. Speaking to that election one more time, how in the world could a sitting Florida Secretary of State co-chair Bush's 2000 Florida presidential election effort? Apalling, and one more reason we need to fix our electoral process.
There are still several U.S. House races I'm following, but so far, it looks like Pennsylvania may contribute to the cause of trying to take the House.
Labels: 2006 election, Ed Rendell, Katherine Harris, Lynn Swann







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home