Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Vegas here we come!

I'm sooo far behind on blogging - I've got about a million things I want to write about, but most of it will have to wait until this weekend, when I will most definitely catch up. Anyway, just a few quick posts this morning.

I'm pretty excited to say that we are going to Vegas at the end of January; it will be my first trip to Las Vegas. I'm going to be speaking at the Far West Popular Culture & American Culture Association Conference the weekend of January 26-28.

In case you're curious, here's what I'll be speaking about:

Title: American Idle: How Pop Culture Pap is Hindering Real Debate in
U.S. Elections

Abstract: National U.S. elections are increasingly driven by pop culture, specifically reality shows. Election coverage, as well as campaign ads, are rife with examples of reality TV's influence on American political discourse. Gone are the days when the issues mattered most; contemporary elections are now dominated by superficial non sequiturs. This tilt toward the mundane is a decades-long movement, but reality television and pop culture have conspired to dramatically increase this troubling trend.

**
It will also be my first time speaking at a conference, so I'm pretty excited about that, too. I'm really look forward to writing my paper, too; anyone who spends five minutes on this blog knows how passionate and driven I am about politics.

We are also going to wedge in some time for a short trip to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. I've never been to either one, and neither has Vandra.

So, this promises to be a pretty big trip. Oh, and you know that I'll be sharing lots and lots of pictures on here when we get back.

Psst - while I'm there, I'm going to be putting a few greenbacks down on the Cowboys winning the Super Bowl (if they are still in it by then!) and the Oilers winning the Stanley Cup. Hey, why not? I think both teams have a shot.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home