Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Lots more to come early next week

I was so busy before we left, I didn't even have time to post it, but we've been in Vegas since Wednesday. We're having an a great time, and the weather's been great ~ and from what we've seen on the news, much nicer than Philly.

I've got loads of pictures to post, which I'll get up on Monday and Tuesday early week. I've got some pretty good art from the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam, so of course I'll bring 'em to you.

Boy, do I have tons to blog about, too - from Bush's State of the Union Speech to An Inconvenient Truth's two Oscar nominations. I'll be doing lots and lots of writing on the plane on the way home - no doubt until my laptop goes dead. So, you've been warned - next week will see a torrent of posts.

Oh, and I'm in the black in Vegas, so far. I was in the Monte Carlo today to have lunch with my bro Todd, who's also in town for a conference, and I walked up to a roulette table, put down $50 on black and doubled my money. I'm not a gambler by nature, so it wasn't too tough to walk away. Now, if I can keep temptation at bay, I might walk out of Vegas without having blown lots of money at the tables.

And my conference went pretty well - it was my first academic conference, so it was a learning experience. My paper, "American Idle: How Pop Culture Pap is Hindering Real Debate in U.S. Elections" was pretty well received, but not by many people, because the conference wasn't well attended, from what I could tell. I'll have lots more on the conference as well when we return. My primary goal in coming to the Pop Culture conference was to get a conference on my resume and to get some experience so I'd know what to expect at future academic pow wows.

So, at least I've got one under my belt.

Okay, all for now - we're off to see the sights tonight and tomorrow before we catch our flight tomorrow late afternoon.

Talk soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home