Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Will Gore's "Truth" get an Oscar Nod? Will Dubya give Al props?

Academy Award nominees are announced this Tuesday, and I've heard and read rumors that An Inconvenient Truth might be up for an award(s). I sure hope so.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, what are you waiting for? The polar ice caps to melt? Get going and see it - I can just about guarantee that you will be a changed person after watching it.

It would be quite cool if Al Gore (above, presenting his global warming slide show in Japan) walked away with an Oscar. I hope he does. He deserves it for his dedication and perseverance in warding off critics, many of whom know about .10% as much as he does about the drastic changes that are happening all over the planet.

I'm still holding out hope that Gore enters the '08 race, but I also wonder if he could best serve our country by not running for president. Or, if a Democrat wins, maybe Director of the EPA? THAT would be incredible.

Al Gore deserves all the credit he's receiving for this important film. Whether you agree with the film or not (and I most definitely do), Gore has provided the US and the world with a pretty handsome benefit, and that's a greater amount of discourse on global warming.

##

In other news, I heard on Chris Matthews on Sunday morning that President Bush is prepared to make some major announcements about energy dependence during his State of the Union speech on Tuesday night. I'll believe those when I hear them.

But, what really caught my ear was Matthews' assertion that Bush might acknowledge Gore's important work on global warming (but I'm sure the president, in the off chance that he would address it, would refer to it as climate change). Matthews didn't sound like he was kidding, but there's no way Bush would give Gore any praise.

Is there?

If Bush does have kind words for Gore and indicates any change on his administration's position on global warming, I will be one of the first bloggers to praise him on the Internet.

That's a guarantee.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Australian and I'm comforted to know that there are some Americans who realise your President is as ridiculous as he appears to the rest of the world!

Mon Jan 22, 04:09:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home