Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

VoCorbulary

This is a brief glossary of terms that I occasionally use on the pages of Count Me Blue. A few friends and family have encouraged me to explain some of what I write on here, so from time to time, I'll humbly offer an explanation of phrases and abbreviations. I'll link to this list on the right side of the home page, so you'll be able to easily find it if you're ever wondering just what in the world I'm talking about.

Steady readers of my rants know that I have a profound love of the simile, metaphor, pun and analogy, and I can't always guarantee that they'll resonate. Sorry.

AFP - Agence France-Presse, the French news agency - the world's oldest.

AP - The Associated Press. C'mon, you knew that one.

BOR - Bill O'Reilly, pun totally intended.

CMB - Count me Blue. Color me happy that you're here.

DemocratIC - Something I just can't "get over"; President Bush saying we have a "Democrat controlled Congress" and "a Democrat majority" in Congress. Of course, when questioned about his semantics, Bush plays dumb (like that's hard), saying he "didn't even think about it." This is an intentional snub which goes all the way back to McCarthyism, when Wisconsin Republican Senator Joseph McCarthy refused to refer to Democrats as members of the Democratic Party. He often stated he didn't want to give the impression that "Democrats were truly Democratic." GOP hacks like Frank Luntz and Newt Gingrich popularized the term since the 1990s.

DMB - The Dave Matthews Band - my favorite band of all time - 15 shows and counting.

Faux News Channel, or Fox Noise Channel - Surprise - Fox "News" Channel. And no, I couldn't resist a shot, even in a definition.

Fersatz - a portmanteau of Fox News and ersatz, because Fox News is the best example of a fake news broadcast in America today.

GOP - Grand Old Party. This nickname has been in use to refer to the Republican Party for decades, and it's easier to write. I loves me some abbreviations.

HuffPo - The Huffington Post - Arianna Huffington's Website and blog.

H/T - Hat Tip - whenever I put h/t at the end of a post, I'm acknowledging that I received the story idea, video, picture, etc. from another Website.

KO - Keith Olbermann, host of MSNBC's Countdown With Keith Olbermann.

NYT - The New York Times

O'Lielly, Bill - Fox News political commentator Bill O'Reilly. I happily admit that I got the term from liberal author and Minnesota Senatorial candidate Al Franken.

Repube(s) - My derisive term for Republicans. I don't always use it, but when I'm in a cranky or angry mood and a Republican is involved, out it comes. It's sophomoric, childish and immature - I don't deny any of it. But, I submit that it's no more childish than many of the terms in popular use by many Republicans, including referring to the Democratic Party as "the Democrat Party." Another bonus - the pronunciation of the word - [Ree-PYOOB]. Sometimes, among close friends, when I'm in a particularly childish and prankish mood, I bring up the word "pubes" or "pubic" in conversation. The inevitable "eeeewwwwww!" makes me laugh - it's an almost universal reaction. (I always get this reaction when I use the word in conversation with my wife, followed by "Hooonnnnnnnnney! It's gross!") Full disclosure - I didn't come up with the word - I read it on another blog and picked up on it. I have no idea which blog - I've visited dozens if not hundreds at one time or another. There you have it - Repubes.

RJs Journey - the former moniker of Count Me Blue.

RRR - Radical Religious Right.

SC - The Supreme Court of the United States.

Smackdass - A smacked ass - a genuinely contemptuous person.

SOTU - State of the Union (speech).

State TV - Could I be referring to anything other than Fox? Hopefully, after November 2008, I can refer to this as "the resistance channel."

STFU! - Shut The F--- Up!

The Georgia Leech - Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich.

The Internets - this is a Bushism, which recalls President Bush referring to the Internet as "The Internets." Just another example of the acrimonious relationship Bush has with proper English and grammar.

WaPo - The Washington Post

WSJ - The Wall Street Journal

WTF? - What The F---?

That's all for now, but as I think of more, I'll update the list. Truthfully, sometimes I write in my own lingo and I forget that I'm doing it, so I'll try to remember that not everyone knows what my abbreviations (and sometimes derisive nicknames) mean.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home