Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

15 years ago today... R.I.P. Sammy

I can't believe that it's already been 15 years, but on April 10, 1992, Sam Kinison was killed by a drunk driver in California. He was obscene, offensive, outrageous and funny, all wrapped into one. He's my generation' Lenny Bruce, although Kinison wasn't quite in that category.

What I remember most about Kinison's death was the tribute that Howard Stern played on his show. Even this morning, 15 years later, Howard still remembers. To open his show this morning, the showed played the song tribute The Sounds of Kinison, to Simon & Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence.

I had to hear a little Sammy this morning, and I found this one on YouTube, which is one of my favorite clips of the late comedian. It's his first appearance on HBO, on Rodney Dangerfield's special, and I think it's from 1986. The last few minutes are on world hunger, and I still laugh when I hear it for the hundredth time. Good stuff. Enjoy.



Rest in peace, Sammy.

Sam Kinison, December 8, 1953 - April 10, 1992.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home