Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

America's Hater: if a Dem wins in '08, Duck!

Update: I found a more accurate, complete account of what Rudy blabbered yesterday about a Democrat winning the White House in 2008 and what the consequences of that would be for America in our War on Terrorism. (Scroll down to read Rudy's quotes.)

The more I think about this, the angrier I get. Giuliani's comments are beyond stupid, moronic and short sighted, and in my view, they really show the man's true colors. What's more, this is what many New Yorkers thought of him up until September 10, 2001. Thanks for the flashback, Mr. Mayor.

What makes me angriest of all, though, is that Repubes will paint it this way: "Yea, Giuliani said that, but both sides do it. I hear Democrats say stuff like that all the time." I'm not exaggerating. I personally know many Republicans, and that's how this comment will be spun.

No. A thousand times no. I defy anyone to find quotes like this coming from any of the current DemocratIC presidential candidates. Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll admit it, on this blog, but I follow the news pretty closely, and I'm yet to see anything even approaching this from the Democrats in the race.

Actually, ever since 9-11 and the immediate aftermath, this kind of language is for more pervasive on the right than it is on the left. The examples are too numerous to mention, but Dick Cheney has been the orator of dozens of lines just like Rudy's. Liddy "Dipshiddy" Dole, a GOP Senator from North Carolina, said something very similar about Democrats two days before the '06 election on Meet the Press. Click Here to view that laugh parade.

Sick, pathetic, sad, demented, and not even really worthy of a response are just a few of the thoughts that are in my head as I reread Giuliani's comments. But, the problem is, if Democrats don't respond, they get painted as a bunch of pussies who have no backbone. (And if they didn't respond to THIS, I'd be leading those charges.) Thankfully, Barack Obama wasn't going to take those comments lying down, and he issued a swift and almost immediate response to Rudy's stupidity.

Anyway, Keith Olbermann had a special comment tonight on Giuliani, and when I find video of that, I'll bring it to you post-haste. It's a barn-burner - KO is just about foaming at the mouth, he's so angry. But, more than anything, his words do the job better than any Bill O'Reilly-pseudo outrage ever could. My original post follows, with Rudy's revised quotations...

###

I had really hoped that the 2008 election would signal a return to decency in our politics, or that the race would at the very least maintain a level of decency. Well, Repubes are doing the best they can to dash the hopes of people like me.

Yesterday, Rudy Giuliani descended into the political gutter by stating, in no uncertain terms, that if the Democrats win in 2008, all of America has plenty to fear.

First, Rudy began by patting himself on the back, something he's becoming better and better at these days. From Politico.com:
"If any Republican is elected president - and I think obviously I would be the best at this - we will remain on offense and will anticipate what [the terrorists] will do and try to stop them before they do it."

[...]

"But the question is how long will it take and how many casualties will we have," Giuliani said. "If we are on defense (with a Democratic president), we will have more losses and it will go on longer."

"I listen a little to the Democrats, and if one of them gets elected, we are going on defense," Giuliani continued. "We will wave the white flag on Iraq. We will cut back on the Patriot Act, electronic surveillance, interrogation and we will be back to our pre-Sept. 11 attitude of defense."

He added: "The Democrats do not understand the full nature and scope of the terrorist war against us."

[...]

"Never, ever again will this country ever be on defense waiting for [terrorists] to attack us if I have anything to say about it. And make no mistake, the Democrats want to put us back on defense!" [Emphasis in original]
What an asinine, patently absurd thing to say.

I can't help but wonder what went through his mind when he went on so moronic and idiotic of a diatribe. I guess the fact that just about every Democrat running for the nomination is calling for our troops to be withdrawn from Iraq angers Giuliani. I'm sure Rudy's comments are based in no small part on Dems' opposition to the war.

To his credit, Barack Obama wasted no time answering the bell, refusing to let Giuliani's comments go unanswered (with a hat tip to Al Gore and John Kerry, who both learned the hard lesson of the price of not immediately hitting back when going up against the Republican slime machine). ...

"Rudy Giuliani today has taken the politics of fear to a new low and I believe Americans are ready to reject those kind of politics," Obama said in a statement. "America's mayor should know that when it comes to 9-11 and fighting terrorists, America is united. We know we can win this war based on shared purpose, not the same divisive politics that question your patriotism if you dare to question failed policies that have made us less secure."

Very well said.

Just wondering how the right is treating this comment? Probably like they treat Osama bin Laden - like it doesn't exist. I've got a 20 that says BOR fails to even mention it on his soap opera tonight.

Try to imagine this - a Democrat saying the same thing about a Republican if the roles and situations were reversed. It's tough to overstate what GOP drama queens Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham, BOR and Limbaugh would do.

Giuliani ought to be ashamed of himself. But, when you have no shame, that's a tall task. This is the same guy who let his second wife know they were getting a divorce at a freakin' press conference.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home