Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Thursday, April 26, 2007

The candidates prepare for first big debate

This one caught me by surprise, since I've had such a busy week. I almost forgot that the first big debate among the Democratic Presidential Candidates is tonight. Naturally, I'll be watching every second, but I'm probably going to miss the beginning. I commute about an hour-and-a-half each way to my job, and I've got an appointment after work.

As soon as I do get home, I'll live blog the last half of the debate and offer my thoughts as the candidates take their turns in the spotlight.

I don't have any preconceived notions about how tonight will go, other than to say that Iraq will be the BIG topic, no doubt, considering recent events, including the Senate's passing of a bill today requiring a troop withdraw. Bush will probably veto it before dinner.

I found a thought-provoking article on Yahoo! a little while ago, which talk about Lowered Expectations (cue the Saturday Night Live music) of the candidates. It's the old compare/contrast rule - if candidates' expectations are lowered going in, and certain candidates do well, then those candidates are perceived to have done a better job debating than their opponents.

Anyway, it's a good piece - find it Here.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home