Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Monday, April 16, 2007

NY Post Corzine cover beyond contempt

Another Rupert Murdoch-owned media outlet has found new gutters through which it can crawl.

This past Saturday, The New York Post ran the above front page picture and headline about New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine, who easily could have died in an automobile accident late last week. I don't even remember the last time I saw a headline that even approached the lack of decency or compassion that this one does.

Corzine, sitting in the front seat of an SUV while traveling to the governor's mansion, was in an accident on the Garden State Parkway. Corzine suffered multiple injuries in the accident, and as of Saturday morning (when the above cover his the news stands), he was still listed in critical condition.

Evidently, he was not wearing his seatbelt. Ouch. It's a mistake that could have cost him his life, but thankfully, it didn't. He deserves some heat for breaking the law by not belting up, but right now?

One thing is for certain - I will never, ever buy another copy of the Post again. I fired off a letter to the editor this morning. I would be shocked if the paper has the balls to print it. Don't bet on it:
To the Editor:
Your April 14 front page "photograph" of New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine was revolting, disgusting and in the poorest of taste. He could have died from his injuries, and while his family is grieving your paper runs a cover like that? I'm surprised you didn't run a picture of Bill Clinton eating a cheeseburger after he had his heart bypass surgery. Maybe I shouldn't give you any ideas. My days of reading The New York Post are over.

RJ
I doubt the letter will do much good, but it beats just whining about it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home