"Progress" continues in Baghdad
If this is progress, I'm praying for no setbacks.Earlier today, a bomb ripped through the Iraqi Parliament cafeteria in Baghdad's Green Zone, killing three lawmakers and wounded many more.
In a separate attack, a suicide bomber blew up a bridge over the Tigris River, sending scores of cars into the water, killing 10 people and injuring dozens.
No word from Senator John McCain on whether he went over the now destroyed al-Sarafiya bridge with General Petraeus during his feel-good tour of the Iraqi capital.
And the debate to continue funding this disaster continues. It's amazing to me that there's any debate at all. This is about Republicans not wanting to admit defeat abroad, which will lead to a political loss at home. Period.The only thing remarkable about yesterday was that President Bush didn't do another cheap, disgusting photo-op to let everyone know for the 29th time that he will veto the bill passed by both Houses of Congress that sets a deadline for troop withdraw.
On Tuesday, Bush went to a Fairfax, Virginia, American Legion to blabber on and on about Democrats not funding the troops, cliché, cliché, cliché...
Was Bush's trip on Tuesday really necessary? We GET IT. Democrats get it. The American people get it. You're going to veto a bill that will fund the troops.
What did Bush and Cheney say about political theater again? It's slipping my mind when I look at the absurd photo above (from gop.com).
I'll have plenty more to say about this later today when I have more time.
Yesterday also brought more great news for the troops - all 145,000 troops were told that their tours of duty are being extended.Just wondering - I wonder which direction the support for this war will go now? If I'm a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan, I would totally resent the fact that the only people who are sacrificing in this war are the soldiers and their families and friends.
It turns out John Kerry was right in 2004 - if this isn't a Back Door Draft, I have no idea what is.
Top photo AP via The New York Times, second photo from gop.com, bottom photo from HuffPo
Information for this piece was taken from The New York Times Website
Labels: 2004 election, Back Door Draft, Baghdad Green Zone, General David Petraeus, John Kerry, John McCain, President Bush, War in Iraq







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home