Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Our poor plants never see it coming


Tonight I'll lead off with two pretty crazy pieces of video I found on YouTube. The first is trying to say something about vegetarianism, I think. I'm not really sure what these people are trying to say, to be perfectly honest. This video can be interpreted in a number of ways.

I don't think I could ever be a full-blown vegetarian - I just love chicken and steak too much, but if people in this country stopped to think about what they're eating these days, vegetarian or not, most would be petrified. Our government has damn near willfully decided to ignore its obligation to taxpayers when it comes to our food supply -- "inspect to protect."

But, even vegans have plenty of reason to worry these days - the problems aren't just with beef and poultry anymore. From peanuts in our peanut butter to spinach, green peppers or onions, E. Coli is just one of the many food-borne illnesses that our federal government seems unwilling or unable to protect us from.

But, the FDA deserves separate scorn on its own, so I will write about that particularly inept government agency in another post soon. The FDA is so bad at doing the job it's actually supposed to be doing, I think it should merge with FEMA. Why not share the ineptitude? FEMA and the FDA could learn from each other how to better screw up a crisis, whether it be a food-borne epidemic or a devastating hurricane claiming hundreds of lives.

Another thought on vegetarianism ... I'm getting tired of people trying to push their morality on others about what to eat. I've known a few people like that in my life, and I do my best to ignore them, but really, it does get on my nerves from time to time.

I do have my limits - I hardly ever eat veal, because I don't like how most of the animals where veal comes from are raised. (Come to think of it - I stopped eating veal years ago.) I don't eat tuna, but if I did, I'd eat dolphin friendly tuna. I'm serious. I'd love to see our government do something about pig farms and factory farms, but nothing will be done about that until we have a new administration in the White House.

613 days to go, but who's counting?

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home