Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Graham & Webb cross swords


Senators Lindsay Graham (R-SC) and Jim Webb (D-VA) squared off on Meet the Press this past Sunday, and it was as heated of an exchange as I've seen on that program in quite a while.

Needless to say, Graham made a fool of himself going up against Webb. However, I have to admit, I had thoughts of CNN's old show, Crossfire, when I watched this - just people trying to talk over one another. Very annoying.

Anyway, I can see why Republicans fear Webb - they have good reason to. He uses logic and doesn't talk in political soundbites, unlike Bush sycophant Graham, who uttered this laugh out loud phrase during their exchange, in his annoying southern twang:
History will judge us, ma freend, not when we left but what we left behind.
Hey Senator Graham, I believe history has already rendered its verdict, and that's that we never should have invaded Iraq in the first place. There's no easy way out now. But, It amazes me that there are still people like Graham who still insist that We can win in Iraq. Let 'em win.

As if the only reason we're not winning this war is Congressional Democrats (and an overwhelming majority of the American people) who want our troops home, NOW. I can just about guarantee that this war will somehow be blamed on Democrats when the presidential campaign begins in earnest next spring. In fact, you can put fat cash down on it, because I guarantee that's exactly what the GOP is going to do.

Graham's Let 'em win blarney is little more than political posturing to the far-right war mongers in the Republican Party. There is not a military expert or general alive who believes we can win there. The only generals who are saying we can win are the ones who are on the ground over there now. And what else would you expect those generals to say? "I know you put me in charge over here, but we have no chance in winning." Of course they aren't going to say that.

Graham embarrasses himself even further with these whoppers:

"I've been to Iraq seven times" (To which Webb replied, "No, you've been to the dog-and-pony show.") Well said, Senator Webb.

"It's not about winning an election." Really, Senator Graham? That could be the most blatant lie I've heard in 2007 on MTP. Wait, has Cheney been on this year?

The only, and I mean the only reason Republican senators are running for cover now is because there's an election in less than 18 months, and the GOP is hoping to retain control of the White House. If it were 2005 right now, Republicans would be in lockstep with Bush's disastrous Iraq policy.

I'd also like to point out that Webb has about 1000 percent more credibility than Graham does on military issues; Webb has actually served in combat and knows the cost of war. Graham's experience? Being recalled to active duty during Desert Storm and serving in... South Carolina. (Graham did serve on active duty in the 1980s.) Wait, another war-mongering Republican who has spent time in the Air National Guard? Hmmm - sounds familiar.

I love Senator Webb because he's not afraid of a street fight with Republicans over military issues. There aren't enough Democrats like him. However, toward the end of the duo's appearance on MTP last Sunday, Webb put his hand on Graham's shoulder and called him "my friend." He's not your friend, senator. That won't win you any points with Democrats who want to see the party toughen up to take on these Republican bullies.

I hardly watch the news on television anymore, because of full of politicians on both sides of the aisle spewing forth sewage, b.s. and lies, and Graham is the best example I've seen in the past week. Wait, there are others, too, and I'll get to them later today.

All we've ever heard from this president and Republican leaders is "give this surge a chance to work." And in six months, we'll be hearing it again.

It's been four-and-a-half years - the Iraqis have had enough time.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home