Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Debunking b.s. on Obama

A very good friend of mine sent me an e-mail on Obama the other day, rife with outright falsehoods and half truths. But, before I get to that, I'll quickly lay waste to one of the biggest canards making its way around the Internet, that Obama doesn't say the Pledge of Allegiance, and/or he doesn't/didn't put his hand over his heart during the Pledge.

The following footage is often cited, or a still photo from the following footage...


First of all, I always thought that you recite or sing along to the national anthem, and remove your hat, not put your hand over your heart. Now that I think about it, I sometimes do, and I sometimes don't. Does this mean that I don't love my country? Please.

As far as Obama not reciting the Pledge, check out the footage below...


So much for Obama not saying the Pledge. Did he hold his hand over his heart? I can't tell from this footage, and quite frankly, I'm not too interested. Would it bother me if he doesn't? A little, but certainly not enough that I wouldn't vote for him.

As far as the criticism that he doesn't wear an American flag lapel pin, that's beyond absurd. I hate to bring up any Nazi Germany reference in a political discussion, but it's apropos here. To me, anyone who thinks a politician is required to wear an American flag might just as well believe our elected politicians must wear red arm bands, and, well, you can see where this is going.

In short, there are about a million other, more important things that we should be occupying our time with right now than questioning either candidate's patriotism.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home