Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Michelle Obama is un-American! Riiight.

Did anyone catch the latest useless media sensationalization of the '08 campaign? In case you didn't, it was Barack Obama's wife, Michelle, had this to say this past week:
For the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country, and not just because Barack is doing well, but because America is crying out for change.
Not surprisingly, her entire quotation wasn't played on every network that I saw. What was replayed was simply, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country." I guess playing the whole thing wouldn't have fit the profile of Obama's wife being "un-American" or worse, depending on where you get your commentary.

I don't happen to agree with Michelle Obama - in my adult life, I've been plenty proud of my country on a number of occasions - 1992, when Bill Clinton defeated who was thought to be an unbeatable incumbent president - George H.W. Bush; how America pulled together in the wake of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing; when America played a key role in toppling Slobodan Milošević; American resolve following the 9-11 attacks; and many others. But, quite frankly, I haven't felt this disenchanted with our government in my lifetime, so I can totally relate to what Michelle Obama said. In 1992, I couldn't wait to vote against President Bush, because I felt he was so out of touch, but that was it - I didn't revile and despise Bush Sr. nearly as much as I do his son.

Of course, the hysterical right, including John McCain and his wife, Cindy, jumped all over the Obamas as if they had just spit on, burned and shredded the American flag. With glee.
I don’t know if you’ve heard those words, but I’m proud of my country!" intoned Cindy McCain a short time later.
Well, good for you, Cindy - not all of us feel that way.

Going back to the ridiculous, disgraceful spectacle that was the Clinton Impeachment in 1998-1999, I haven't felt all that wonderful about our government. In fact, since President Bush ascended the throne courtesy of the Supreme Court in '00, the only time or incident I can point to with pride is our nation's resolve following 9-11.

Does that make me un-American? I surly don't think so. What it makes me is angry, very angry, and I'm ready to do something about it during the '08 election, just as I did in '04.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home