Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hillary's parallel universe Bosnia trip


I'm certainly not out to destroy Hillary or to make her look like some horrific candidate; after all, if by some small chance she becomes the Democratic Party's nominee for president, she has my vote, although in many aspects I may hold my nose as I cast my ballot. Hillary and President Clinton and their surrogates have done themselves a good deal of damage by their campaign tactics this year that I'm very unhappy about. However, if it ended up Hillary vs. McCain, the choice would be so obvious to me as to be absurd - McCain is little more than a caricatural candidate who would make the Ronald Reagan presidency look youthful, vibrant and intelligent. That's saying something.

Having said all that, Hillary's recent account of her trip to Bosnia is pretty telling. Is it a mortal mistake? No. I heard someone on TV the other day characterize it as a "my fish was 'THIS big'" story, and that's about right. But, it is an embarrassment, as it should be. She should know better, and her explanation that she "mis-spoke" doesn't explain it away, either. There's a not-so-fine line between misspeaking and grossly exaggerating. It really is too bad, because Hillary, underneath all of the very hostile press coverage, is a remarkably smart woman who I have little doubt would make an excellent leader for our country, but she continues to be remarkably adept at wounding herself. And the likes of President Clinton and the asinine James Carville aren't helping matters, either.

I really don't see how she becomes the nominee, unless there is a great deal of arm-twisting behind the scenes, and that could spell doom for the party. The will of the people must not be thwarted, regardless of how badly she wants to be president. If she becomes the nominee despite being behind in the popular vote, as well as in delegates, that will probably mean one thing - say hello to President McCain. And then, we're all doomed. We can ill afford another four years of Bush's disastrous foreign and domestic policies.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home