Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Sunday, March 02, 2008

It's on the Internets, so it must be true

[Click on image for a larger view & a belly laugh]

The other day, I did my first-ever search on the Internets for the Website of President George W. Bush's presidential library. When I found it, I had one of the bigger laughs of my life.

That's not hyperbole.

One can rightfully expect a certain level of cheer leading when visiting a presidential library Website, but this one takes the cake. Even the most rabid Clinton hater would have to concede that his Website is downright conservative compared to the screen capture above. As the saying goes, sometimes real life is stranger than fiction.

It's good to see Bush in his Halloween costume again, too - it's been a while, but it never gets old.

I offer this suggestion to make Bush's library Website actually utilitarian - why not a list of all the library's donors? Yea, fat chance.

The aforementioned Clinton haters had huge issues with his library's donors, including some people who received pardons at the end of his presidency. Fair enough - some of the people who received pardons at the end of his presidency should not have received them, without question.

However, let's look nine months into the future. I can't WAIT to see who Bush pardons at the end of his presidency - history shows that many of them will be controversial, and one cannot possibly believe that a few pardon recipients will make the list who have done Bush favors in the past, or will so in the future, right?

Here are the two lines that Bush's supporting sheeple will parade out, and shamelessly at that:

1. The president has the power to pardon, unconditionally, as stated in the constitution.

2. "And what about (Marc Rich) all of those (Marc Rich) pardons that President Clinton (Marc Rich) granted in 2001 (Marc Rich) shortly before leaving office?" (Marc Rich)

I'd bet good money with anyone that those two lines will be repeated over and over on State TV Fox News. Guess what? They didn't effectively explain away Clinton's pardons (nor should they have), and they shouldn't explain away Bush's pardons, which will in no way be influenced by contributions, right? Anyway, that's my prediction.

God, the GOP play book is just too predictable these days. Oh, and Marc Rich? I love it that former Dick Cheney hack I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby legally represented him until 2000. That should shut up people like Bill O'Lielly and Sean Hannity when Rich is inevitably brought up, but I seriously doubt it.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home