Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Saturday, April 26, 2008

HBO's Recount premieres May 25


Speaking of the 2000 election, I'm really looking forward to watching Recount, an HBO movie about the 2000 election and the subsequent Florida recount. The cast looks excellent, and HBO's films in the past four or five years have rarely disappointed. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised that a movie network owned by media giant CNN Time/Warner is churning out such thought-provoking, compelling productions. Kudos, HBO.

I'm happy that this film is coming out this year, because people need to be reminded and educated about the possibility that their vote might not get counted this fall. I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican - your vote should be counted on time, every time, no exceptions. Sadly, far too often in our country's history that has not always happened, and both sides have been guilty. Although in recent history, it's been mostly Republicans have been very successful at suppressing votes that would go against their candidates, and they have accomplished this using all sorts of tactics, including Caging.

Anyway, check out this movie - I will watch it the first night it's out, and I'll bring you a review shortly afterward. (I'll be done teaching by then, so I'll have much more time to write than I do right now.)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home