Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Today... we decide! Don't forget to vote!

I've been looking forward to this day for quite a while, but I have to admit I'll be much, much happier when it's all over, at least for a little while. Pennsylvania won't take a backseat for long, though, since just like 2004, it promises to be a hotly contested state for both party's nominees.

All of the campaign ads, the commercials, the junk mail (of which I've received probably at least 50 pieces of campaign fliers in the past 2 weeks) and all the rest, it will be good to get a break from it for a little while. And I'm a political junkie! That should tell you something about how crazy it's been, especially here in Philadelphia. We'll find out soon enough of the city can be dubbed Hill-adelphia; if she carries Philly, she almost undoubtedly will carry the state.

As tired as I am of it, I have to confess that I think the debate has been very good for voters, and the state. I just don't buy into the media's crybaby complaining that "it's not good for the Democratic Party" because Hillary and Obama are still slugging it out. The media simply wanted it wrapped up by now, so it can get on to delivering us Hillary/Obama vs. McCain polls for the next seven or eight months. Funny how, as usual, the facts get very little traction, too; Bill Clinton didn't wrap up the nomination in 1992 until June. But, back then we didn't have the Internet, (ahem) blogs, and YouTube, and also umpteen 24-hour news channels to incessantly obsess over what Obama's drinking for breakfast, or Hillary's laugh or haircut like we do now.

Part of me thinks this slugfest between Obama and Clinton is good, and part of me wants the party to get a nominee already, so the electorate's ire and restlessness can be directed precisely where it belongs - at McCain and the war-mongering Republicans. Soon enough.

I'm off to cast my ballot. I'll be back in a bit. ...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home