Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Ventura spanks Buchanan on gay marriage


Speaking of gay marriage, this is a pretty sweet piece of footage - former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura taking Pat Buchanan behind the woodshed during a joint appearance on MSNBC's Verdict with Dan Abrams. My favorite line in the exchange:
VENTURA: "Well, first of all, I made a statement when I was governor and stand by it today. Love is bigger than government. Who the hell are we as a government to tell people who you can fall in love with? I think it's absurd that fact it's even being debated."
That's about as poignant and spot-on statement as I've heard about this issue, ever. I haven't always agreed with Ventura in the past about certain issues, but I find myself agreeing with him and more and more. I wish this guy would run for national office and really shake things up.

Better yet, I wish Ventura would really get behind creating a viable third party in our political system. He has the right combination of moxie and determination to do just that.

h/t Crooks & Liars for the video

Labels: , , , ,