Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Still mourning Leroi Moore


I'm having a hard time getting started on anything this morning as I sit here thinking about all of the Dave Matthews Band shows I've gone to (it's got to be over 20 by now - I stopped counting) and all the times I've enjoyed listening to the sweet sax and clarionet riffs of the late great Leroi Moore.

There are loads of tribute videos already up on YouTube, but this is one of the best I've found - a moving montage of some pretty great Moore riffs. I've always said that the band's music must be seen live to be appreciated, and Moore was one of the biggest reasons I felt that way. At about the 4:30 mark in the video above, my favorite part of the song Warehouse begins - Roi's sweet sax brings it home.

As Dave Matthews himself said at Staples Center last night, "It's always easier to leave than be left," Matthews told the crowd, according to Ambrosia Healy, the band's publicist. "We appreciate you all being here."

According to a story in the Charlottesville Daily Observer, last night at the show Dave went on to describe the first time he had ever heard Moore play:
Matthews went on to describe the first time he heard Moore play saxophone. While at a gig, Moore grew tired of standing, leaned against a cash register to rest and started to play.

"He played the most beautiful version of 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' I'd ever heard in my life," Matthews said. "That's the day I fell in love with him. I'm still in love with him."
So are the band's fans around the world, including me. So long, friend - you will be missed, but never forgotten.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home