Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A few election day pictures...

I thought I'd share a few pictures from yesterday, since it was such a memorable day. Of all the presidential votes I've ever cast, and yesterday was my fifth, the one I cast yesterday is the one I'll remember 50 years from now if I'm still living then, God willing.

God, I take a horrible picture, but I just had to take a few pics in the voting booth. (My nose really isn't that big.)

Here's a picture of me casting my vote - I took it just for fun - for posterity.

I made up some custom Obama glasses, that I plan on wearing to Obama's inauguration on Jan. 20, 2009. We are definitely going - we don't live that far from D.C. and this is a historical event not to be missed.

My friend JJ, one of the smartest and best Democrats I know, got in on the act, too - I sent her a pair, and she helped nail down York toward the central part of Pennsylvania.

Our cat Butter got in on the action, too, but unwillingly. As I always say, he's an unwilling Fanimal, but that doesn't prevent me from trying. My favorite time with him was when Michael Nutter was running for mayor of Philadelphia - Butter for Nutter. Our crazy cat has a 2-0 record with candidates he's endorsed, so politicians will undoubtedly be actively seeking his endorsement in '10 and beyond.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Helena said...

Congrats! I'm happy for you. Love the pics!

Thu Nov 06, 12:11:00 PM PST  
Blogger RJ said...

Thanks, Helena - it sure is an exciting time over here. I'm going to try very hard to go to the inaugural on Jan. 20 in D.C. What has the coverage been like over your way? I was listening to the Thom Hartmann program on Air America Radio yesterday (highly recommend him, by the way - www.thomhartmann.com), and he was taking calls from around the world, and I couldn't believe it - calls from Guatemala, Switzerland, loads from England, Peru, Kenya, etc.

At the risk of sounding like an arrogant American, which I'm totally NOT :o) I never realized that our presidential elections get such coverage abroad. All of the calls I heard were positive ones. Thus far, Obama's victory seems to be a tremendous leap forward not only here in America, but how we're perceived abroad. And we have plenty of damage to repair in the wake of Bush's disastrous policies.

Thu Nov 06, 03:56:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home