Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Great video captures the voting spirit


This is a tremendously cool video that really captures the spirit and essence of what today is all about - undoubtedly our most important day as American citizens. And yes, I mean even more important than April 15. The above video is incredibly well produced, and perhaps it even shoots a few holes in one of the more annoying clichés we have in our politics - that celebrities ought to just keep their mouths shut and not be political.

In two words - bull crap. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of musicians getting up and spouting off on their political beliefs at a concert where I've overpaid for a ticket (Hello there, Barbara Streisand), but just because someone gains fame, that doesn't mean they lose their right to have a political voice, and a damn loud one if they so choose.

Some day, when I'm famous (!), I'm sure I'll be much more political than I am right now, if that's even possible. But, I digress.

This is a pretty neat, uplifting video, for sure. And without doing a great deal of checking, I have to say that there appears to be mostly libs in this video, because the GOP has been doing all it can to suppress voter turnout and eligibility, so I doubt Republicans were even asked to be in this video. I'll have much more on voter suppression in the coming days, weeks and months. (Especially if there are shenanigans today, which is all but a certainty with hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of voters all across the U.S.)

After the election, we really do need to do something about how votes are counted (and not counted) in our electoral process. We can't lose sight of this issue, or lessen our resolve once we have a new president. The way we elect our politicians is laughable and almost criminal, and we really need to do something about it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home