Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Happy Birthday to the Peace Sign

Okay, I'm back for real this time. Sorry for the recent inactivity on here - teaching six classes is proving to be much more difficult than I could have possibly imagined, and being very sick during the past week hasn't done much for my schedule, either. Anyway, I've got lots to blog about, and I've been keeping up with political developments, and as you might guess, I have lots of opinions...

But first, today marks the birthday of the Peace Sign, a sign created by Gerald Holtom. It's hard to overestimate the impact that this symbol has had on the world, and by that I mean a positive impact. It's hard to imagine a peace movement or even a war, for that matter, without the peace symbol being a part of it.

I doubt Holtom could have possibly imagined the impact this symbol would have had when he first drew it 51 years ago, but the symbol sure has endured.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home