Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Saturday, May 20, 2006

It's only game 1, but I'm jacked...


I forgot to put up the NHL's "Final Four" Conference Finals grid the other day. Ahhh, it's been a long time since I've seen the mighty oil this far toward center in this grid and it looks awfully nice. They got off to a wonderful start last night with a 3-1 victory over the Ducks. This is going to be a long, tough fight with a very talented Anaheim team to get to the Finals, but I was glad to see the Oilers get the jump in this series. Of course I'm hoping for a victory tomorrow night, but if they left Anaheim for Edmonton with a split, I wouldn't be surprised. If the Oilers can somehow manage to win tomorrow, I will be elated. I didn't get to see much of the game last night - just the third period this morning, because we were at the Red Sox/Phillies game last night - Vandra got us tickets last minute. Incidentally, it was a 5-3 Sox win, with Boston playing long ball. That was nice - Big Papi David Ortiz has a 2-run dinger. I'll post some pictures from the game a bit later. Anyway, back to hockey.

This could be 1990 all over again - an Oilers team that underachieved in the regular season, coming alive and jelling in the playoffs to take it all. I'd like to think so, and so does Scott Burnside of espn.com. We'll see.

Anyway, I'll keep the Oilers rant to a minimum today - just wanted to get my happiness down on "cyber paper." If the Oilers can manage to somehow win tomorrow, they will be in full control and on their way to the Stanley Cup Finals.


A very cool view of Michael Peca slipping a shorthanded goal past Anaheim goalie Ilya Bryzgalov in the first period. Ya gotta just love a shortie, especially through the 5-hole. See that little shadow under the goalie? That's the puck, headed for the promised land.

A dejected Bryzgalov after Peca's goal. God, I LOVE the goalcam. What cool shots! It's one of those innovations where you ask yourself, "How did we ever do without that?" I can remember when there was no goalcam, but I'm glad the NHL has implemented it into broadcasts - it adds a lot to the game when you're watching from home.

I'm countin' the hours 'til game 2. I can smell Stanley, I just hope the Oilers aren't teasin' me. ...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home