Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Seventh heaven, here we come!




What's Martin Scorsese have to do with hockey? Read on. ...



Look at this bullshit! Some stupid magazine went to press last week with this headline. "The Oilers were down 2-0 in the series, and things were looking great for the Hurricanes. It was my call," was the lame explanation of the magazine's editor in chief. Let's hope the magazine has to eat its words - all 50,000 copies of this magazine. Of course, copies made their way into the Oilers dressing room, but when you get this deep in the playoffs and this close to winning the cup, you'd better not need extra motivation to win.

After Saturday's 4-0 drubbing of the Hurricanes, the Oilers have a chance to truly stand alone in modern NHL history as the first and only team since the '42 Maple Leafs to come back from 3-1 to win the Cup. Blah blah blah - I've blogged about all the rest.

Before the game, I just have to single out #8 on the Canes, Matt Cullen. When an Oiler player, and I think it was Jarret Stoll, lost his glove on the way to the bench Saturday night, Cullen took a whack at his bare hand during Saturday night's game. That's Bush League, and a player like that doesn't deserve to win the Stanley Cup. But, there's a thing called karma. Maybe it'll bite him, maybe it won't. Either way, Cullen is a pussy.

Speaking of deserving to win the Cup, one more thought on that. In my view, no one deserves to win the Cup - you earn it. Okay, I'll admit, players in this series who have been in the league a long time with no ring to show for it deserve to be a part of a winner, but a Cup isn't awarded, it's earned. For instance, Martin Scorsese deserves to win a Best Picture Oscar, but it hasn't happened yet. (Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas, anyone? What a laughable travesty.)

So enough with the "So and So deserves to win a Cup" stuff. And before I finish on that thought, I have to take a good-natured ribbing at my Flyer buds - they are rooting for the Canes because three former Flyers are on the club - Brind'Amour (still the ugliest player in hockey), Justin Williams and Mark Recchi. How does it feel, boys, to be reduced to rooting for former Flyers on another team because "Clarkie" wasn't smart enough to keep them? Just had to have a little fun there. And don't come back at me with a karma quote about pokin' fun - even if the Oilers lose, I'm already soooo proud to be a fan of the team for all they've already accomplished - they're already winners and heroes in my book.

So, which captain gets the glass slipper on Monday? Of course, it's the captain of the Oilers, Jason Smith. I boasted before game 6 (Vandra is my witness!) - "No way the Oilers let a visiting team win the Cup on home ice." I was right. My next prediction...

The Oilers have hit their stride, and they will hang a 6th, white championship banner at Rexall Place on opening night of the 2006-2007 NHL season. Oilers take the Cup tomorrow night, 4-2.

I still believe, and tomorrow... Validation.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about your loss. If you need someone to come to the wake, Let me know! They made a good run at it.

Tue Jun 20, 07:01:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about your loss. If you need someone to come to the wake, Let me know! They made a good run at it.

Tue Jun 20, 07:01:00 AM PDT  
Blogger RJ said...

Thanks, Eel, and it WAS an amazing run; one I'll always remember. Game 7 in Carolina was an experience I'll never forget - Edmonton AND Carolina fans are amazingly cool. If they tweak, the Oilers could win it next year (and so could your Ducks!).

Wed Jun 21, 06:01:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home