Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

President Ford is discharged

I read today the President Ford is at home and resting after a brief stay at Vail Valley Medical Center, in Colorado, which is good news. I've always had a special admiration for him for how he led the country after Nixon's resignation.

At first, my heart leapt a little when I saw the headline that Ford, 93, had been released from the hospital. I had flashbacks to my Nan earlier this summer; when they released her, it was because there was nothing more they could do, and they sent her home where she wanted to spend her final days.

But, with Ford, it looks like it was a false alarm, and that's good. He's been in better health, but it looks as if he may become our oldest living president of all time on November 12 of this year, passing Ronald Reagan.

Ford is on my mind because I'm reading a very good book about his presidency, 31 Days. If I ever finish it, I will write a review of it and give you my thoughts. I've been working on it for months - I've just been so busy with other stuff, I'm waay behind on my book reading this year. But, I'll catch up at some point. My early thought on the book is that it's outstanding - I recommend it highly.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home