Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I'm back! First, a must-see movie



Last night, I saw a promo on HBO for Ghosts of Abu Ghraib, and it looks shocking, eye opening and haunting. It's directed by Robert F. Kennedy's youngest daughter, Rory Kennedy (interviewed above). It looks to be another must-see movie about the U.S. war machine, but this time it's about one of the most sickening displays of what a few rogues in the U.S. military can accomplish.

With a nod to the Haditha Massacre, has anything damaged our credibility abroad this much since My Lai?

I know I won't miss this - it premieres on HBO on Thursday, February 22. You probably have HBO for the great exclusive shows like the Sopranos. Here's another reason to have at least one pay channel, if you are trying to decide on one. The network also ran an excellent documentary called Hacking Democracy last fall, and you'll be hearing a whole lot more about that from me in the coming weeks -- by that I mean the movie and the movement to have a paper trail when we vote. My voice is going to be heard loud and wide on this topic (I hope).

Anyway, check out Ghosts of Abu Ghraib - it's certainly worth an hour and a half. Since the director, Rory Kennedy, is a Kennedy, I wonder how the right wing will attack her?

Like the promo said last night -- "because there is no such thing as 'a little' torture."

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home