Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Thank God for All-Star Weekend

This picture is a microcosm of the Oilers season thus far. It's as if the team hasn't been able to shake off the shock and disappointment of last June, when within the span of seven days, they lost Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, and arguably the best defenseman in the game, Chris Pronger, who requested a trade 10 months after signing a four-year deal, and only a few days after the Cup Finals. That was not a fun week to be an Oilers fan, let me tell you.

Edmonton's season started out well enough - at different times, the Oilers were 6-2, and then 16-10-2, but since mid-December, this team has been in free fall. They got shut out against the Flames yesterday, 4-0, to drop to 23-21-4. Yikes.

The good news is that the team is only three points out of 8th in the Western Conference, but the Oilers now know how difficult of a road it is to win the Stanley Cup as the eighth seed. In fact, it's the toughest road to the Cup, and no eight seed has ever won the Cup, but last year's Oilers were the closest.

The first order of business after the All-Star break is for Oilers GM Kevin Lowe to pull off a trade for a top-flight defenseman. It's a must - this defense is just not getting it done, no matter how they want to spin it.

Thank God for G Dwayne Roloson, who has really had a great year, although his stats don't show it. But, he's being hung out to dry on many nights as the defense in front of him has all but crumbled.

It's not like I was expecting a Stanley Cup parade along the Blue Mile this year, but after coming within 60 minutes of sipping from the Cup, I expected Edmonton to at least be in a comfortable position to make the playoffs.

So, as usual, my favorite sports team on the planet will have drama and go right down to the gun as far as making the playoffs. Missing the postseason this year would be a disaster for the Oilers, so I don't even want to think about it.

In the meantime, I'll be treated to a special night on February 27, when the Oilers raise #11 to the rafters - the jersey of their former captain and warrior, Mark Messier (Above, that's Messier hoisting the Cup, in May 1991, after the Oilers beat the Boston Bruins in five games to win their fifth Stanley Cup in seven years. It's my favorite Cup win by the Oilers - so awesome and so sweet, especially after the team traded Wayne Gretzky. I love Messier and that Cup win so much, I have the exact authentic jersey that Mess is wearing here.)

In many ways, The Messiah is my favorite hockey player of all time, but my overall favorite player is (surprise) Wayne Gretzky. But, I can't wait for the pregame pomp to honor Mess, the greatest captain in the history of team sports. I won't keep going on and on about Messier - I'll do that later on, when they raise his #11 to the rafters. I can't wait to see it. So, if the season goes in the tank (and it had better not), at least there's that little gem to look forward to watching.

##

There's talk in Edmonton of a new barn for the Oilers, or retrofitting the ancient Rexall Place, where the Oilers play. The sentimental fan in me wants them to stay put, but the owners, players, coaches and fans deserve a first-class facility, and they are not playing in that now. So, stay tuned on that one.

I've vowed for years to get up to Edmonton to see the Oilers play a three-game set, and I'm renewing that vow now, especially if the city of Edmonton inks a deal to give the team a new playpen. I must get into Rexall Place, to "feel" all of that history and to see where four of those five Stanley Cups were won before it's too late.

One other quick hockey thought - things could be worse -- at least I'm not a Flyers fan. Man, does this team suck. I mean, they reeeeeeeeealllllllllllllly suck. I haven't seen a Flyers team this bad since this early '90s, before they got Eric Lindros. Not only will the team not make the playoffs, but Philly sports the worst record in the NHL, and they are in line to get the first overall pick in the draft. But, that's not much solace to Philadephians, who take their hockey pretty seriously, and the city's championship drought even more seriously.

I'm not too big into All-Star games - I usually catch the NHL's version of it if I'm around. (Actually, for the last decade, I've mostly worked on weekends, so this year it'll feel weird to have the opportunity to watch it.) But, I must say, I've never been happier to see hockey's All-Star Weekend arrive. The Oilers are banged up, big time.

So, I hope Edmonton gets healthy - right now, Jarret Stoll, Ethan Moreau and Ales Hemsky are just a few of the key players who are banged up. They are all needed for the stretch run.

It's unthinkable after last year that Edmonton could miss the playoffs. I hope this year I don't have to experience what that's like.

Go Oilers !!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home