Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Petitioners to NBC: stop parroting Fox News


This is the kind of stuff I love to see - it certainly doesn't happen enough these days. The organizers of this petition drive have more than a beef; they have a legitimate point. The path from Republican talking point to the mainstream media is becoming more apparent and transparent over time.

It's pretty well known that Matt Drudge, the right-wing hack behind The Drudge Report, is in regular contact with the powers that be on the Republican National Committee. Hence, a talking point becomes a story on Fox. Since Fox is the number one rated cable news network, and every other network wants to catch them, they often parrot what Fox is reporting.

I've got a $20 that says those 200,000 signatures ended up in the trash, but I don't mean to sound cynical. I admire the effort, and I wish I would have known about it ahead of time, because I certainly would have signed it. It's only movements like these that will bring about much needed changes in the mainstream media, because it won't happen without making our voices heard.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home