Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Monday, May 22, 2006

Am I dreaming?

Before I get started, I again must apologize that I've been bloggin' so much lately about the Oilers and hockey in general. I will be writing about a buffet of different issues this week, but I'm just so damn excited about Edmonton going this far in the playoffs and having this much success. Actually, it's impossible to overstate how happy and juiced I am about this team. I can't believe how the years pass - the older I get, the more I realize that time flies by and is precious - it has been 16 years since Edmonton last won the Stanley Cup. Seems like yesterday - but I was 18 years old. So, it's been a while.

Anyway, I just couldn't resist posting this picture. Because the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim truly are covered in Oil. After last night's game, the Ducks are on the ropes now; they truly are flying straight into a Category 5 Hurricane (Sorry, Carolina Hurricanes, a team we might face if we make it to the Finals). Rexall Place in Edmonton is going to be deafening tomorrow night - Oiler fans know the game and are smart, and they know what's at stake here - the Oilers could wrap up this series in Edmonton with two victories on Tuesday and Thursday.

I have to confess that I suspect this could still be a long series, though. San Jose was up 2-0 in the last series vs. Edmonton, and they are still trying to figure out how it all came apart. This is a very talented Anahiem team and they aren't just going to roll over. I fully expect a long, tough fight, but I don't see Edmonton losing two games in their barn; it will be a split at worst.

The realization is finally hitting me - the Oilers really could make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Unreal.

Here's a photo from last night's game - kind of a cool one.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home