Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

One win away...

Just one more! One more victory and the Oilers are in the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time since 1990. Last night's contest was the craziest ride-of-a-hockey game that I've been on since, well, maybe ever. Hey, I love roller coasters, but who puked on my boots?

xx
O

Well, the Oilers pulled it off last night. About halfway through the third, they were up 4-0, and I was ready to book their tickets to the Finals, but then the Ducks proved they have a little bit of fight left. Before I knew what happened, it was 4-3. Fernando Pisani potted a marker to give the Oilers a 5-3 lead (see pictures below), and I was breathing easier, but the Ducks provided some drama with about a minute left by making it 5-4. But, the Oilers held on.

I hope Edmonton can close out this series tomorrow night; obviously, so they make the Stanley Cup Finals; but also so this team can get some rest. Some of you may not know that the flu is running through this team like shit through a goose, and a week off (if the Eastern Finals is a long series, which it looks to be) would do this team a world of good.

The Oilers certainly have a destiny feel to them. I'm cautiously optimistic about their chances. But, I look at it this way - they knocked off Detroit, the best team in the NHL during the regular season, so they can knock off anybody if they play their best game/series.

I had goosebumps during the third period, but I had even bigger goosebumps during the singing of O Canada, when the crowd quite literally took over. Unreal - I've never seen or heard anything like it. I would give my leg (okay, not really, but you get the metaphor) to be there for game 4. Anyway, see a video of the crowd singing along to the anthem Here. You don't need to be a hockey fan to appreciate that. Oh, and Edmonton fans are showing even more class in the face of San Jose fans booing O Canada during the last series. I know I'm biased, but I truly believe that Oilers fans are the best in all of sports.

Well, one more day to wait, and one more game to go. I'll be glued to the set tomorrow. In the meantime, a few more pictures. ...



I can't get enough of these fisheye goalcam pictures. This is Fernando Pisani's game winner. Sweet.



Elation! bedlam! (In Edmonton and in our office, where I was trying to not wake Vandra at about midnight.)



You try to fight Laraque, twice in one night, and you're going to take your lumps. Hey, if you keep screwing with the bull, you're going to get the horns. Hey Fedoruk, keep your gloves on and try to score a goal. Wait, you can't score. But, your team needs it. Perhaps you should be a healthy scratch in game 4. But, it's probably too little, too late, anyway. Better luck next year, Ducks.



Anyone remember Duck Hunt? A great video game - I used to love shooting the dog so he would come out on crutches. Anyway, I found this on an Edmonton fan site I always visit and post to. That's Chris Pronger, a Conn Smythe trophy candidate, with a few dead ducks. Art can imitate life.

I've got a fix for 6!*

*Um, that's 6 Stanley Cups - the Oilers have won 5 in their history. Figured I'd point it out - I know most of you aren't hockey fans. :o)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home