Fighting the War on Error

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."
- Political & Social Activist Abbie Hoffman (1936-1989)

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A big NHL day, but Messier is my highlight

What a difference a year makes. Last year, on the day of the NHL trading deadline, I was excited beyond words, because I just knew my Edmonton Oilers were going to do something. This year, the team is much worse, and it's not at all a foregone conclusion that the Oilers will do anything to make this team better in the short term, and more importantly, to make the playoffs.

Right now, Edmonton has to be as much of a long shot to make the postseason as Al Gore is to enter the presidential race. It's huge letdown for me. I'm hoping against hope that Oiler GM Kevin Lowe does something to shoot this team in the butt, but this team has the look and feel of next year's team.

More importantly today, the Oilers might move #94, Left Winger Ryan Smyth. He's been an Oiler for over a decade, and if they don't get the feeling they can resign him, they will trade him today, since he becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. It will be a sad day indeed if that happens.

Tonight might be one of the few bright spots this season for any long-time Oiler fan. Tonight, the Oilers honor one of the greatest players in NHL history, their former captain, #11, Mark Messier.

Yesterday, it was the City of Edmonton's turn...

Messier, an Edmonton native, had a street named in his honor, Mark Messier Trail. Cool.

Many former Oiler greats are in the city this week to honor Mess, including Paul Coffey (above). I have a special place in my heart for all of those Oilers from the 80s, but for my money, with a tip of the cap to Ray Bourque, Coffey was the best defenseman I've ever seen play the game.

I'll feel the same way tonight, Mess. Watching his #11 being raised to the rafters will be truly emotional for me. I always feel a little bit older seeing these. I don't get moved to tears very often when watching sports - championships (or lost ones) and number retirements are a few of those times. I wept when I watched Wayne Gretzky's last game in 1999. Tonight, I will undoubtedly weep again.

Lots more on the NHL trading deadline and Messier later tonight and tomorrow.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home